The course is designed to support both baby-carrying professionals (advocates, peer supporters and consultants) and infant feeding professionals (advocates, peer supporters, counsellors, lactation consultants). It aims to give the tools to understand and facilitate the combining of the two sets of skills.
- Benefits of feeding with help from a sling:
We will discuss how carrying and feeding are skills that are mutually beneficial. We will explore current research and existing practices.
- Role and limitations of a carrying and feeding advocate:
We will define our role and our boundaries and discuss the language that will help facilitate combining the two skills.
- Safety whilst feeding and carrying
Whilst most carrying is straightforward, there are associated risks that need to be discussed in order to limit issues. We will visit guidelines and how to relate them to most baby practices.
- Vertical, cradle and rugby hold feeding
- Bottle feeding
- Basic front or hip carries in a woven wrap, a stretchy wrap, a ring sling, a meh dai, a buckle carrier and a simple scarf
- Full support versus carrying aid
- Breastfeeding covers
- Active Listening
- Pedagogy (Teaching Theory)